Specific Objectives and Competences
- To discover the main tendencies and challenges which have affected the population of Europe.
- To understand the need for immigration for the future of the EU.
- To understand the main characteristics of the immigrant population living in the EU.
- Since 1960, the population of the countries of the EU has increased by more than 100 million, reaching a total of 508 million inhabitants. However, the rhythm of its growth has tended to slow down.
- In 2011, the majority of the population growth that took place within the EU was due to immigration: 69%. The other 31% was due to natural growth, in other words, the difference between the number of births and deaths.
- We are therefore witnessing process of ageing population due to a fall in fertility and with the baby-boom generation, born between the years 1940 and 1965, getting close to retirement. Life expectancy also continues to increase on the European continent.
- In the countries of the EU, fertility has almost constantly fallen since 1960. Today, the fertility rate in the EU is 1.6 children per woman.
- In general, the social changes that have taken pace in recent decades have caused a delay in the age at which Europeans have their first child.
- Bearing these factors in mind, in the future it will be necessary to for more migrants to come to the EU in order to maintain the demographic balance. Traditionally, the economic prosperity and political stability of European countries have attracted a large number of immigrants.
After reading the chapter entitled “European demographic tendencies are becoming consolidated” discuss the negative effects that immigration to the EU could have on the countries of origin
What could be done to prevent the negative effects of immigration on the countries of origin?
In the following article “In the U.S., Acceptance; in Europe, Ghettos” analyse the differences in the integration of immigrants in Europe and the USA.
Discuss the reasons for these differences in the level of integration of immigrants in these societies
>15 Population projections for Europe 2010 – 2060 (es, en)
>15 The ageing of Europe’s population in one hundred years’ time (en)
>15 Rethinking health policy for an ageing European society (en)
>15 Monthly report • Perspectivas de mercado económico y financiero (en)
>15 Population projections for Europe (en).
>15 Muslim demographics: the truth (en, 9’20’’)
>15 The ageing of the population (en, 1’55’’)
>15 The demographic bomb: demography is destiny, 2009. USA, 70’
>15 Welcome Europa. 2006. France. 90′
>15 Information about population in the EU from Eurostat (en, fr, de)
>15 Interview Paul R. Ehrlich (es)
>15 Russia launches a campaign to overcome the demographic crisis (es)
>15 Report: “The xenophobia that divides Germany” (es)
>15 UK immigration (en)
12-15 Game about the most populated cities in Europe (en)